This is a fantastic pizza sauce, and it’s very easy to make. Use fresh oregano if you can find it; it really does make a world of difference. This sauce is based on the recipe in Rose Levy Beranbaum’s The Bread Bible.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) canned crushed tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and simmer, stirring frequently until reduced to about 3/4 cup, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and cool.
This recipe can be doubled if you’re making more than one pizza (as I did for my pizza party), but you’ll need to let it simmer longer to reduce. For a triple batch, I let it simmer about 25 minutes.