My aunt made this wonderful salad for my bridal shower last summer, only using strawberries instead of pomegranate. Since good strawberries are hard to come by in January, or are simply overpriced, I decided to use pomegranate instead. It was a big hit. Even served along side a delicious prime rib people had second helpings of salad!
- 1 9-ounce bag baby spinach, rinsed and drained
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 5-ounce package candied pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Mix together sugar, mustard, salt and vinegar in a double boiler, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add oil and poppy seeds.
- Whisk together by hand or blend until well combined.
- Chill dressing.
- Place spinach, pomegranate, onions and pecans in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and serve immediately.
Dressing can be prepared a day ahead. Blend again before adding to salad.