Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably noticed it’s apple season. What better way to enjoy a cool autumn day than with a warm, spicy apple crisp?
- 4 cups tart apples, peeled and sliced (about 4 medium)
- 2/3 to 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Arrange apples in greased square pan, 8x8x2 inches. Mix remaining ingredients; sprinkle over apples.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and apples are tender, about 30 minutes. Serve warm and, if desired, with whipped cream or ice cream.
I’ve had this recipe on hand for many years. It was given to me by a wonderful woman I worked with long ago. I love it because it’s so easy to put together. I like to make this with McIntosh apples since you don’t have to worry about a soggy crust, but any tart apple will do. The original recipe didn’t call for nuts, so feel free to omit them if you’re not a fan. I like the extra crunch.